Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Reader's Theater Formatting

One of my MYFest goals is to get good at writing Reader's Theater scripts! Since there are not elaborate stage directions, the formatting of a Reader's Theater script is much simpler than a script you might format for dramatic theater or a film, etc. 

I'll be following Aaron Shepard's formatting style for the scripts in Folktales on Stage. The only difference is that I will not be labeling the scripts based on "reader ages," in part because I'm not an expert in early childhood education, but also because I am not really confident in age labels generally speaking. I'll also be using CC licensing instead of copyright.

Title
Subtitle (provenance)
Told by (author)

Source. Adapted for reader's theater by the author from (source)

CC-BY license. This license allows reusers to distribute, remix, adapt, and build upon the material in any medium or format, so long as attribution is given to the creator. Please attribute to Laura Gibbs at LauraGibbs.net

Preview. A single sentence blurb, not giving away the plot.

Genre. ___
Culture. ___
Theme(s)
. ___
Length. (minutes)
Readers. (number)
Roles. ___

Notes. (including observations about ways to decrease/increase roles; if music is included, then the tune for the music goes here)

Script. Then, in the actual script, the speaker names are in ALL CAPS; if multiples, they are numbered (NARRATOR 1, NARRATOR 2, etc.), with a colon separating the speaker name from their words. Indications as to tone and actions go in parentheses; indications about recipient also go in parentheses (to audience; to NARRATOR 1, etc.). 

Here's a snippet to show what that looks like:



UPDATE: I did it! I wrote my first two Reader's Theater scripts using that simple formatting. I'm collecting them here as Google Docs, CC-licensed! Scripts.LauraGibbs.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Because of spam woes, I've set this up so that only logged in Google users can leave comments... but of course you can find me at Twitter too: @OnlineCrsLady